Friday 3 October 2008

The journey



Ok, so this post is kinda outdated..but better late than never rite? heh. So the story starts when I left KLIA on the 16th of September. My flight was at 2a.m. so I had to reach the airport at around 11.30. That was the original plan anyway but I was fashionably late even though we left home quite early as we forgot to make a turn and ended up at mont kiara instead...so yeah it made us 30minutes behind schedule. Finally reached KLIA nearly 12am and hurried to check in as Darrick was already there and was waiting for me. Got through check-in with no problems (my luggage was 30.1kg wheeeee not overweight =) thank you god for listening to my prayers). Bas and William came to send me off (thanks u guys) at the ungodly hour and we just chilled at McD and of course, take pictures heehee.



Bas Tower and I



William

there's a reason why we are smiling so widely heh
There's a reason why we are smiling so widely and the reason is Bas Tower

My family

My family <3>



with the small bully =p

with the little bully =p


After saying my goodbyes (quite a tearful one thanks to the little bully) Darrick and I went down the famous escalators and on to the immigration officers. This was where I did something really really and I mean REALLY stupid *smacks head*. I forgot to take my laptop bag. YUP u heard me right..I cant believe how forgetful I can be. I was kinda lost in my own thoughts and so after the bag was scanned, I left it there. Worse still, we boarded the train to the terminal and I still hadn't notice that it was missing.! It was only after we reached the stop at the terminal area that I realize something was gone. I thought I left it in the train so I ran into the train again but it wasn't there and thats when I started to panic. Hectic situation I tell you. Darrick and I took the train again back to the other side and I was really worried we might not be able to board the plane cause it was getting late. Everything turned out fine in the end and I really appreciate how much Darrick helped me get back the bag. I know I've said this plenty of times but thanks again!! Felt so bad cause I could have made him miss the plane too. Anyway, its history and I definitely learnt my lesson.

mummy and daddy!!

Mummy and Daddy!! Before departure


Fly emirates?



Emirates Air was a disappointment. I was expecting it to be quite nice ya know? Since it was supposed to be a good airlines and all. First impression was bad. The aisle was so narrow that it was terribly hard to carry your handcarry while walking along it. Its so narrow that you can't even pull the luggage behind you. Imagine that. Second complain~Seats are very very cramped. It is only wide enough for you to fit your butt. You can't really shift all that much in your seat and there is very little leg space. With all that, its not that shocking that I couldn't get much sleep. Even when I managed to fall asleep, it was a restless one. BUTTTT another sub reason as to why I didn't sleep much was cause of the meals. Hahaha. I looked forward to having those meals that I didn't really bother to sleep that long. Yes, I'm a food pig. =p I personally thought that the food was good. I have always liked airplane meals for no particular reason. Had been that way since I was a kid. Heehee. I'm still a kid. On-air entertainment was really good too. There was a very wide variety of movies for us to watch and I was pleasantly surprised The Other Boelyn Girl which I had wanted to watch badly was available. I ended up not watching it though (regret cause sis said it was the bomb) cause I was afraid it might be boring and I didn't want to fall asleep yet. Watched 27 Dresses instead.

7 hours of uncomfortable flight later, we landed in Dubai for our transit. The airport was okay I guess and had big duty free stores. I wanted to buy perfume if it was cheaper than the counters in Malaysia but turns out its the same price! Ended up not buying but I did buy some chocolates.. Just a little hehe. Our transit was 5hours so we just bummed around and boarded the plane again for another 7hours worth of flight to London. Was again disappointed cause the seats were as narrow as before though this was another plane. Ah well..On the flight, I asked the stewardess if I could have a Baileys with ice. She asked me if I wanted her to make it a double and I answered YES with a big smile and no hesitation. So she gave me two miniature bottles of the alcohol. Delicious.


Cute mini Baileys


7 hours later, armed with a heavy overloaded tummy filled with 6 yummy airplane meals, we finally reached Heathrow, London. It wasn't all that crowded though. Went past the immigration process fairly easy as she only asked to see my offer letter and when does my course ends. Some of my friends got questioned about their medical checkup though and got held up. Im glad I had a lucky day. Went to clain our baggages and we managed to reach the arrival hall with no custom problems. We joined the University of Nottingham volunteers and not long after, we were boarding the coach that will transport us to Notts, being 20pounds poorer due to additional baggage fee. =(


Coach ride was okay. Still couldn't fall asleep so I awed at the scenic view outside and started taking pictures. I spotted cows =)




Reached Notts at 6-ish and checked into our temporary accommodation provided by the uni. Our luggages arrived not too long after and we settled down and had a nice longgg shower after that long and tiring journey. There was free dinner on that day but I was too exhausted so I skipped. I was still bloated with all that airplane meal anyway hahaha.

A picture of Sherwood Hall, my accommodation for welcome week

Sooo..that basically concludes my journey to the UK. It was long,tiring and uncomfortable but I have always enjoyed sitting in an airplane and I still do very much. Anyhoo, thats the end of this post and I'll continue bout my welcome week in the next post. Till then, toodles!

-Ling-

3 comments:

Unknown said...

lol, ling!!! all airplanes are the same la, built by the few same company with the few same designs :p

and where's a picture of heathrow?? the world's busiest airport... haha

ish, i think i'm commenting too much d, haha, chills.... and cheers :)

take care k..

Ling said...

nooooo its not the same. last time when i went to bali, the seats were much bigger and the aisle honestly aint as narrow as this was..

hahaha..i er...forgot heathrow...heheh...was too busy struggling with baggages to take...and it kinda looked small..mayb dats cus i didnt get to explore it..ok i will take when i come back...which will be next year..if my blog survives la haha

haha nvm u can comment how much u want. bettter than a dead blog right

u take care too

DrTofu said...

woooo...amazing pictures. hahahaha. alcoholic. hahaha. u seem like u're enjoying a lot. hahaha. good la, i wish i'm in uk now oso. haih, too bad la.